The list of what a new business owner needs to know can be overwhelming. I narrowed it down to five things to keep it simple. These are five important things. If you can follow through with these five, you find it easier, less frustrating and more enjoyable to be a business owner.
1. When hiring a new employee, look for character. You want an employee with integrity, honesty, courage, wisdom and love.
2. You must learn to trust and then delegate. Once you have an employee that is trustworthy and loves the business, start delegating tasks.
If you have an employee that will be a leader for you, then you will be able to focus on other aspects of the business and continue growing.
3. Great customer service is key! You need fantastic customer service skills and so do your employees. You need customer service representatives that will represent your company with integrity. The goal is to create raving fans that will tell everyone about how impressed they are with how well their needs were met.
If you are lacking in customer service skills, get a coach!
4. Keep meticulous records. This is one of the aspects of business that can be a drag, especially if you are not organized and you procrastinate. If this is an area you struggle with, then this may be an area you need to delegate. Get someone who loves this kind of challenge and can keep your records always up to date and ready at a moments notice.
5. Create a memorable training program. There is nothing more frustrating then going through a training program and coming out the other side not knowing what you are suppose to do. Don’t be that leader. Remember, not everyone can create memorable training content and not everyone is a trainer.
If you will be offering a training program for all areas of your business, evaluate your situation and decide if you need an instructional designer and a trainer.
What areas do you need to work on as a business owner?